12 October 2016

Five Botham Sisters

From the pages of the James Spencer White Album

botham-family

I had previously just glanced at this photo and thought I wouldn’t be able to identify them because it was nameless. On having another good look at it today I realised that was Charles Botham in the background not looking at the camera and after comparing the photos I have of four of his daughters I was able to identify at least two of them.

Zella on the left, she was the youngest born in 1906, she looks to be about 12 or thereabouts, the one at the other end of the front row is Vivian, the next two beside Vivian are Florence & Almira but I’m not sure which is which, so that leaves the eldest Alice Clinton (btw I don’t think that’s a hat on her head, it’s some sort of blob on the photo).

As to who the other three men are I have no idea although the young man standing next to Alice could be her future husband Ebenezer Ben Erskine.

Dawn Scotting
pandora[at]kc.net.nz

No comments: